IW Foundation Health Library:
Most people know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Admittedly, with a dog the size of an IW it takes quite a bit of chocolate, but it's still best to avoid it.
And did you know grapes are poisonous to dogs? And onions. Again, a small quantity is probably not going to cause problems for your IW, but it's always safer to be careful about these things.
Some poisons can be removed by forcing the dog to vomit (like chocolate), while others are caustic and need to be neutralized. And, of course, some are so toxic as to be life-threatening.
The ASPCA Poison Control Center is a great resource for pet owners of all experience levels. You might want to keep the phone number where you can easily access it in an emergency.
- ASPCA Poison Control Center (includes info on toxic/safe houseplants, human medications, etc.)
- Guide to Poisonous Plants
Links provided here provide Irish Wolfhound-specific, sighthound, and/or general canine information relevant to Irish Wolfhounds.
Disclaimer: The Irish Wolfhound Foundation provides the information on this website for the education of its readers. No information on this website should be used for veterinary medical purposes, diagnostically, therapeutically, or otherwise. Consult a veterinarian before attempting to medically treat your dog or changing your dog's medical treatment.
Note: Links to content outside iwfoundation.org may become inactive over time.